Monday, September 12, 2022

Cobra Kai Season 5 (2022) Review

Cobra Kai Season 5 (2022) Review 


Over the last few years, Cobra Kai has been one of my favourite shows and the newest season has come to Netflix and I have watched all 10 episodes in basically one day and here is my review for it. The premise of the season sees Daniel & Chozen attempt to take down Cobra Kai, while Johnny travels to Mexico to find Miguel. 

Main Character

Ralph Macchio & William Zabka are back as Daniel & Johnny and by now I believe they could play these roles in their sleep. They are both fantastic, the characters are also really well handled this season with clear progression. The two of them have clear passion for this project and it conveys on screen with two fantastic characters. 

Supporting Characters

This show has a huge supporting cast so I will only talk about a select through but know that pretty much everybody on this show is fantastic. Thomas Ian Griffiths is back as Terry Silver and he has full control of Cobra Kai now and he is just such a great bad guy. He has tonnes of charisma and the character is fascinating to me, he has been a great addition to the show. But the show stealer for me was Yuji Okumoto as Chozen. He is awesome, he is a great sensei and has real comedic chops. This is the first time he is given the spotlight and it really works, he is just an brilliant addition and I am so glad the show gives him the attention he deserves. The younger actors get the time to shine, Mary Mouser as Sam & Peyton List as Tori are given way more to do this season and their characters progress very well and very naturally which is something the show hasn't always done well. 

Story 

The storytelling of showing the two dojos conflict is brilliant. These two philosophies really clash and apart from certain moments I think the show does a good job of showing some value in both of them. The majority of the characters are developed really well and I liked how they were handled. But this show gets off to a shaky start this season, the characters are split up and one story in particular is pointless and doesn't work like I think they wanted it too. 

Script 

The script is great, it has the right balance of seriousness and humour. It is cheesy at times, but I like it for its charm and its willingness to become personal when necessary. Plus when characters are written as well as this it deserves real credit. 

Style 

The show flows really well, the episodes feel like a breeze and I just have a real enjoyment watching it. The action scenes are excellently filmed and when they want to become quite brutal, they do it very well indeed. Also something they do really well, is their use of flashbacks, I have never seen Karate Kid 2 or 3 but these flashbacks make it really easy to follow Chozen & Silver's stories and the connection they have to Daniel. 

Overall

Overall, Season 5 of Cobra Kai is fantastic. It isn't my favourite season of the show but it is a great watch and as a huge fan of the show it is a must watch and one of my favourite shows out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment