Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Borderlands (2024) Review

Borderlands (2024) Review


It seems that video game based TV Shows have finally started to get a bit of traction but I still think video game based films haven't quite found their feet and the next to try its go is Borderlands and I saw it today and here is my review for Borderlands. The premise of the film sees a group of misfits attempting to open a vault and keep it away from an evil corporation. 

Main Character

Cate Blanchett plays Lilith and boy she really tries to make the best out of this role and the reason I am giving her some praise is just because of the care that Blanchett clearly has. However, Lilith is a dull character and one that becomes kind of absurd as the film progresses. I just didn't care about her and for your main protagonist that is not a good thing. 

Supporting Characters

Ariana Greenblatt plays Tiny Tina and similar to Blanchett, you can see that she really cares and enjoying herself on screen and that makes her somewhat enjoyable. But her character is super unlikeable and I didn't really care much about her. 

Kevin Hart plays Roland and this is probably the biggest miscast in the film. If you get a comedian like Kevin Hart then I would expect him to make me laugh but he was so boring and dull, his character is pretty serious and Hart offers literally nothing to the performance. 

Jamie Lee Curtis plays Tannis and she gives a truly awful performance, her character is all over the place and just makes weird noises and has strange delivery of dialogue throughout. She is a terrible person but the film wants you to care, but you really won't. 

Edgar Ramirez plays the villain Atlas and he is so dull its unbelievable. I honestly, can't believe this guy gets big roles as I don't think he has ever been good and that continues here. He is such a boring and generic bad guy that offers nothing to the film. 

Jack Black voices the iconic character Claptrap and I found him super annoying in this film. I think if it had been in moderation it could have worked but he is all over this film and he just doesn't stop talking and the majority of his dialogue isn't funny which takes away from the whole thing. 

Story

The story of the film is just garbage, it is the most boring and predictable plot line that you will see in a film. It is your traditional misfit gang that starts enemies and grow as the film progresses but it is really forced and I didn't care about any of the characters or their struggles. The final act is really stupid and predictable which encapsulates this film. 

Script

The script has absolutely nothing to it. I don't think I laughed once and I didn't care about any of the characters through the drama and emotion. With this cast it needed good writing but it just isn't here and it adds to the overall woes of the film.

Style

The film has some decent action sequences, they are fun and do a somewhat good job of representing the games but there just aren't enough of them. The CGI is varied during the film, some of it is okay and some of it is rubbish. The film is really short and feels a bit rushed for sure, though with the quality I am glad it was shorter. 

Overall

Overall, Borderlands is a truly awful movie which is such a shame because I really think there was potential here, really do avoid this film and with so much to watch in the cinema at the moment pick one of the other films which is hopefully better. 

Rating - 2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment