Friday, September 6, 2024

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power Season 1 (2022) Review

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power Season 1 (2022) Review


I am a huge fan of The Lord of the Rings but I did not want to watch this show and had little interest. But with Season 2 just starting its release schedule, I thought it was time for me to watch this show and I have now watched the first season of Rings of Power and here is my review for it. The premise of the show is set thousands of years before Lord of the Rings and sees the different species try to survive against the dark forces of Middle Earth. 

Main Character

Morfydd Clark plays a young Galadriel and I did find it unfortunate that I really didn't care about this character. She is just really dull and the show doesn't do a good enough job of making you care about her or her character. Clark, does try and that deserves a bit of credit but with her being the clear protagonist of this show, she falls really flat. 

Supporting Cast

The cast is pretty large, and it is mixed for sure. I think a lot of the performers were hampered by shoddy writing and poor storytelling which gave them little to work with. 

Robert Aramayo plays young Elrond and I really liked him. He doesn't really feel like Elrond but I can't deny that he is entertaining to watch and there is plenty of depth made to his character and I found the scenes involving him and Durin played by Owain Arthur to be the most entertaining of the show. 

Charlie Vickers plays Halbrand and he is alright, he actually has some charm and charisma to him which helps him rise above some shoddy writing for the character. I thought he did a good job and made me intrigued by his character. 

But the rest of the cast really suffers, Arondir played by Ismael Cruz Cordova is really boring. He is great in the action sequences, but he is so monotone and soft spoken that it was hard to care about him and he just falls really flat, especially with how much time we spend with him. 

The story involving Daniel Weyman as The Stranger and Markella Kavenagh as Nori is really dull and boring. It tries to be mysterious but it never really goes anywhere, it took till the finale to try and make them interesting but there characters were a sore part of the show. 

Story

The story really misses the mark. I saw it described as a fan fiction of JRR Tolkein's work and I am afraid that it does really feel like that. The show tries to force intrigue and interest by hiding a lot of information about the characters but that made it really hard to get invested. Then the final episode has a few reveals that feel rushed and not earned for the show and I hope the story improves in the future.

Script

The show is unfortunately not written well. All the dialogue feels really forced and those bits that are good are due to the actors rising above this shoddy writing. Not much makes sense and making so many storylines that involve mystery makes things feeling frustratingly not complete. 

Style

Easily the best part of the show is the style. The show looks beautiful, you can tell it has a huge budget and for the most part it is really effective. Middle Earth looks great and I am glad that this show has the essence of the universe with both its looks and also its fantastic music choices. The action scenes are also great and have a bit more brutality which I definitely enjoyed. 

Overall

Overall, Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power Season 1 is a bad show and falls really flat of its licence. It is definitely an example of style of substance and I hope the second season is a huge improvement on this as the franchise deserves way better. 

Rating - 3/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment