Saturday, October 10, 2026

Lanterns (2026) Review

Lanterns (2026) Review


The DCU's next piece of media is Lanterns which has been streaming on HBO Max over the last 8 weeks. Though this review is a bit late, I have been watching with great interest and am now ready to review the show, so here it is. The premise of the show sees two intergalactic police officers, one a veteran, one a protégé as they investigate a murder in a small town in Nebraska. 

Main Character

Kyle Chandler plays Hal Jordan and he is amazing in this show. People criticised picking an older acter for this legendary character but Chandler is absolutely perfect for this role and his charisma is oozing off of the screen. I don't think I overexaggerate when I say that this is an iconic comic book role that will be inspiration for the character going forward. 

Aaron Pierre Plays John Stewart and he is also brilliant in the show. He is the quieter, more intense character but his development is really well handled and Pierre really delves into the complexity of the role. 

The two of them have excellent chemistry and it is easily the best part of the show.

Supporting Characters 

Kelly Macdonald plays Sherriff Kerry Kane and she is really good. You can just see how frustrated she is dealing with both Jordan & Stewart and she has her own interesting story arc throughout the show. 

We spend plenty of time with John's parents played by J. Alphonse Nicholson & Jasmine Cephas Jones and the scenes involving them are super intense and though they are pretty unlikeable they are so well performed and made the scenes super interesting. 

There are a bunch of other characters and there is genuinely not a bad performance among them. This is a truly fantastically acted show. 

Story

The story is pretty great for the majority. The rivalry between Hal & Jordan is at the forefront and it really works with two fascinating characters. The investigation is good week on week and definitely kept me interested and invested. However, I think the finale does take some wrong directions and it made the story feel a bit flat by the end. The ideas are well thought but not exactly well executed which is a huge shame. 

Script

The script is really great, the banter between Hal & John is so well done and it is a big part of the show so thank goodness for that. There is also some great drama between all the characters and it made this feel like pretty big, despite taking place in a small location. 

Style

The show has an interesting style. It doesn't have too many big CGI Scenes, which left people disappointed but for me I found it a less is more approach. When these CGI scenes happen it is really cool and I never took it for granted seeing them. The pacing of the show is slower but well done and I was glued to every episode that I watched. 

Overall

Overall, Lanterns is a Fantastic Show and I loved watching it. It doesn't quite stick the landing but it is a must watch to see some awesome performances and an intriguing story, especially involving comic book characters. 

Rating - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment