Monday, January 18, 2021

Blithe Spirit (2021) Review

Blithe Spirit (2021) Review


This film made its way to Sky on Friday and I have now found the chance to watch Blithe Spirit and here is my review for it. The premise of the film sees a struggling writer accidentally summon the spirit of his deceased first wife, which creates issues with his current wife. 

Main Character

I just want to put it out there that I really like Dan Stevens as an actor but I did not like him in the role here. His character is just so unlikeable and I found it hard to sympathise or care about him and actually he is a pretty terrible person. There just isn't a script good enough to make his character one worth watching and Stevens can't save it in any way shape or form. 

Supporting Characters

Onto the one real highlight of this film and that is Dame Judi Dench who gives a pretty fun performance here and is easily the best thing here despite some weird choices that are taken with her character. After Artemis Fowel last year and now this film she really needs to get a new agent. Isla Fisher and Leslie Mann play the two wives and they didn't do much for me, Fisher had really no character and was this generic character that you have seen a million times before on film. I think Mann could have been an interesting character but she just becomes too by the numbers and the film does nothing to get you interested in the situation and the issues that these characters are in. 

Story 

The story is just so bad, this weird love triangle could have been interesting if they had chosen the direction it was going to go better. It either had to be really weird or really dramatic and the film does neither making you wonder just what was the point and why you are watching this film that does nothing interesting. The last act is so bad it had me laughing and wondering just why anybody thought a Blithe Spirit reboot would be a good idea in 2021. 

Script

As I have alluded to throughout I hate this script, it does nothing and says nothing. The characters are written so badly and you are given no reason to care about a living soul in this film. The film needed to really focus on a genre but it just didn't and tried too much and ultimately failed at all of it with a really weak ending.

Style 

I have heard some people say this film has a good look but I just don't really see it, it doesn't stand out in any way and the look can't hold it up in any way. Luckily the film is only 95 mins long but if you don't really like any of that 95 minutes it shouldn't be praised for it. 

Overall

Overall, this film is just awful and we have the first contender for the true worst film of 2021 and we are still in January. This is a film I never want to see again and I would say don't even think of watching this trash and do anything else with your life. 

Rating - 1/10



No comments:

Post a Comment