Saturday, November 13, 2021

Marvel Studios announce New TV Series for Disney+

Marvel Studios announce New TV Series for Disney+

It was a relatively quiet Disney+ day compared to last year but Marvel Studios didn't go down quietly and announced new shows that will be hitting the streaming service over the next few years. I will go through them here and give my thoughts on them. 

Echo 


The first one is Echo. This has been reported for a few months now but it was confirmed that this show was coming. Echo is a deaf superhero who will be played by Alaqua Cox, she is set to make her debut in Hawkeye which means that Marvel has some big plans for her. Honestly, I know very little about the character so I have few thoughts on it but hopefully she becomes a fan favourite. 

Agatha: House of Harkness 


This news was leaked recently but it is now confirmed that Kathryn Hahn will reprise her role as Agatha Harkness for her own spinoff show. I am much more excited about this show, Hahn was fantastic in Wandavision and because her characters true motivations were revealed so late there, I think there is plenty to work with. I would like to see some more of her backstory and a little bit of redemption would also be cool. 

X-Men '97


Another piece of really exciting news was that the iconic X-Men animated series that run in the 90's is being revived with a new series. I watched this show almost religiously as a youngster and this is really the first step with The X-Men under the Disney flagship. My main request is that the iconic theme song is back as else it will feel a bit hollow. 

Spider-Man: Freshman Year


Another animated show that was announced is a new Spider-Man one called Freshman year and honestly this is the one I am least excited about. The show is meant to show the early days of Peter Parker as he becomes Spider-Man, but do we really need another Spider-Man property? This just feels like a rehash and for me this show will have to do something pretty special to make it stand out. 

Marvel Zombies


The last show announced is one more animated show and this one has been teased already in What If? Marvel Zombies was a really fun and interesting episode of that show but I am not sure I am exactly convinced by a whole show. It will be interesting to see if it connects to the episode of What If? or whether it is going to start off fresh, personally I hope for a fresh start with the occasional episode involving Zombies in the main show. 

Overall

Overall, there are some exciting projects here but it does feel like a bit of a step down from the other Disney+ group of shows. There isn't any show here that has me as excited as other shows such as Loki, Ms Marvel and Moon Knight. Hopefully these shows can really deliver and keep The MCU rolling for years to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment