Wednesday, February 9, 2022

The Book of Boba Fett (2021) Series Review

The Book of Boba Fett (2021) Series Review


After 7 weeks and much hype and discussion we have come to the end of The Book of Boba Fett and I have watched all of the episodes and here is my review for it. The premise of the show sees Boba Fett return to Tatooine and take over Jabba The Hutt's thrown, he now has to deal with the issues that come with power and the enemies that brings. 

Main Character 

Temuera Morrison reprises his role as Boba Fett from The Mandalorian and I personally think he is fantastic. He adds some real intensity and ferocity to the role while actually managing to give the former bounty hunter a character. I really like how he portrays the character and he just fits into the role naturally and I enjoyed learning more about what has happened to him that makes him more then just this cool looking guy who had nothing to do in the films. 

Supporting Characters

This show had a huge cast and by now I don't think any of them are spoilers so I will talk about as many as I think are appropriate. Ming-Na Wen is back as Fennec Shand and she is also great, I really like the dynamic between the two of them and exploring the duo is one of the highlights of the show. She is also great in the action scenes and I swear that women will never age as she is clearly doing the majority of her own stunts. Pedro Pascal voices Din Djarin and it is great to see him back and seeing how he has progressed since the end of the Mandalorian season 2. He gets way too much screen time but there is no denying that the show does a great job of showing his character at his best. We also see the debut of Krrsantan, a wookie from the comics and it is really cool to see this guy in action and seeing this fearsome more intense wookie on screen is something we haven't really seen before. The rest of the cast are all solid with many cameos that was enjoyable to watch. 

Story 

I really enjoyed the flashback story of seeing how Boba escaped the Sarlaac and made his way to finding Din Djarin in The Mandalorian. I also liked seeing Boba trying to establish a new rule in Mos Espa with this more honourable mentality. I then liked all the stuff involving Din Djarin and some of the wider Star Wars stuff. But the issue is that it doesn't quite work together, all this stuff is good but it feels like 3 different shows at time and I think they took on way too much for the show and it ended up leaving me a little confused as to why the show was called The Book of Boba Fett. The finale delivers though and ends up on a positive note. 

Script

The script is good, I feel like Boba is a character that doesn't need to talk that much and he still doesn't really but when he does it feels effective. The drama worked for me and the bits of humour is a nice addition. It just feels like Star Wars and that is the job that is required for sure. 

Style 

The show looks fantastic, the budget is huge and the effects are top of the range. Seeing Boba and the other characters in full flight is really fun and I love watching this Star Wars adventure. But there are a few issues, the first one is that after all these years I am a bit fed up of Tatooine and this show is mostly set there and it becomes a bit dull. The other issue is the overall pacing of the show, it links to the story and that so much is packed into the show that at times it loses focus on the story that it is trying to tell. 

Overall

Overall, The Book of Boba Fett is a great show that has some great Star Wars fun. It has some issues but if you are a fan of Boba Fett, The Mandalorian and Star Wars then this is a must watch for sure. 

Rating - 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment