Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Munich: The Edge of War (2022) Review

Munich: The Edge of War (2022) Review


Munich: The Edge of War has been very anticipated and it recently made its way to Netflix and today I watched it and here is my review for it. The premise of the film sees a British and German diplomat travel for peace talks before World War 2, both with their own agendas. 

Main Character

George MacKay shot to fame for his role in 1917 and he is really good here. On paper his role isn't that in interesting but he adds plenty of depth to it and gives everything to make this an interesting character and a solid performance. German actor Jannis Niewohner was really great as well, for me he was the most compelling part of the film and I liked the way they took his character as it wasn't exactly what I was expecting. 

Supporting Characters

The legendary Jeremy Irons plays Neville Chamberlain and obviously he is great in the role. It just fits him really well and having his level of star involved with this project really elevates it. It is funny, there isn't really another fleshed out character but the acting is top notch by everybody involved and I think the acting from everybody involved is something that should be commended and highlighted here. 

Story 

The story does some interesting things, it has two layered main characters that have interesting motivations and you see these play out. But I guess I just wasn't interested enough, this film is set just before WW2 which means you know what the outcome is which makes it sometimes a frustrating watch. It just doesn't do enough to make it stand out amongst the large amount of films that deal with this subject and time period. 

Script

The script is okay, it lays it on very heavy and there is some decent dramatic dialogue involved. I liked how the film didn't shy away from characters speaking the native language of the characters instead of all speaking English for no reason. But this film is just too bleak for me and I felt like it just didn't always work with it becoming a bit mundane and repetitive at times to pad out a runtime. 

Style 

This was where the film fell down for me. It just did nothing to make me keep interested in terms of its style. It doesn't look that great and the pace is so slow, it moves at a snails pace and I just got bored. These WW2 films need to start doing more to keep them interesting as media has overused it and unfortunately this film can't rise above. 

Overall

Overall, Munich: The Edge of War is an above average film that is really well acted. I thought it was alright but I think it is for a particular taste of film fan and people might not get on with it. 

Rating - 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment