Tuesday, September 8, 2020

I'm Thinking Of Ending Things (2020) Review

 I'm Thinking Of Ending Things (2020) Review


This film hit Netflix a few days ago and has got the internet talking so I thought I would watch I'm Thinking Of Ending Things and here is my review for it. The premise of the film sees a young woman travel to her new boyfriends parents farm where she comes across some interesting things. 

Main Character

Jessie Buckley is the character we are meant to follow here and she does a really good job. The strength of this film is the acting and she makes it easy to follow here, she is clearly uncomfortable throughout the film and isn't exactly sure what is going on which makes her easy to follow as the viewer clearly isn't meant to know what is exactly going on. I'm not going into detail about her character or exactly the performance as it does play into the plot but her performance is really interesting to watch. 

Supporting Characters

Jesse Plemons who I know for his run as Todd in Breaking Bad plays her boyfriend and he also does a really good job, it is just a strong performance. Again I can't really go into too much detail but he gives a great performance and again his acting is one of the most interesting parts of the film. David Thewlis and Toni Collette play his parents and they are both great and fit the quality actors that they are. 

Story

Okay, this is where the review gets complicated. If you have watched this film then you know why, basically this film has an underlying narrative that is hard to follow. I pretty much had no clue what was going on for portions of this movie, but then when I finished watching the film I realised that actually the film has an interesting story, it just isn't presented pretty well. Lets face it everyone will google this film after and that is when you really realise what is going on, it is just a shame that it wasn't particularly shown that well. 

Script

The script is also not that great for me, there was no dialogue that stood out for me and again similar to the plot the script is over-complicated and at times is again hard to follow. I think there is something great here, it is just hidden by an over indulgent story. 

Style

This film does a good job of building an eerie setting, you can tell that Buckley's character is uncomfortable and confused and the style of the film does a great job of that. The film also does a fine job of keeping the longer scenes engaging enough when they could have easily been sleep inducing. But this film does have a slower pace and I would argue that it doesn't exactly do a great job of structuring its story which hurts the overall experience, it could have been a 90 minute movie and nobody would have complained. This is one of those films that art house film fans will love, it looks nice and has long dialogue scenes, but that doesn't always do it for me. 

Overall

Overall, this is an average experience. It is a film that over reaches and tries to be really clever and for me fell flat, it is held up by the fantastic acting but I would say unless you are a huge film fan this is one you can skip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment