Monday, May 10, 2021

Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021) Trailer Review

Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021) Trailer Review


So after what feels like forever waiting, we finally have the Venom: Let There Be Carnage trailer and I have watched a few times and here are the things I noticed from it. 

The strange humour from the first film is back

Now to start with, I was not a huge fan of the first Venom film and one reason was the weird humour between Eddie and Venom. It just didn't work for me and this trailer makes it clear that the dynamic between the two is going to be there still. Now granted it can be written better I am sure and it is only one element of the film but this trailer kind of made me think it was going to be the same this time around. 

Woody Harrelson is back as Cletus Kassidy AKA Carnage 

So the post credit scene of the first film saw the debut of Woody Harrelson as Cletus Kassidy and he is obviously going to play a much larger role in this film. Luckily the wig is gone but he is clearly still crazy, now this can go one of two ways but I'm hopeful that Harrelson doesn't go all in on the madness and at least keeps some level of character to this role. If there is a balance then I can see this being a great villain. 

Stephen Graham is in the film.  

Now this bit of casting snuck in under the radar but the amazing British actor Stephen Graham looks to be playing a police officer here. Beside being the busiest man in British television he gave a great performance in The Irishman and I really hope they give him plenty to work with here so he can really show off his quality. 

Naomie Harris appears as Shriek 

This one had been rumoured for a while but we do get a glimpse of Naomie Harris, who will be playing the villain Shriek. In the comics Shriek and Carnage have teamed up so you would suspect that this will be the case here and she will be the one that Venom needs to take down first. Though you don't usually cast Harris for a small role, so I am hopeful for a bit more. 

Carnage looks amazing 

Venom's CGI did look good in the first film and still looks good here. But the CGI for Carnage looks really good, the colour scheme is on point and hopefully he has the powers he has from the comic and the clash between these two characters will be as epic as it should be. 

Will there be any connection with Spider-Man? 

After the Morbius trailer that came out last year, there has been rumours of Venom having a larger crossover with Spider-Man, but there isn't much evidence of that here. Yes, The Daily Bugle is spotted here but that isn't enough for me to think we're gonna see Tom Holland at any point. Maybe someday we will but I don't think this is the film to do it, maybe a third film would be the place. 

Overall

Overall, this was an okay trailer. I like some of the things that I see mainly to do with the way Carnage looks but I think it will take more to convince me that it can be a truly great comic book film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment