Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019) Review

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019) Review 


Finally, I am going to see Spider-Man: No Way Home tomorrow morning so I had to finish my Spider-Man review series and that ends with Far From Home and here is my review for the film. The premise of the film sees after the events of Avengers: Endgame, Peter Parker is looking to have a vacation but he is tasked to save the world again by Nick Fury. 

Main Character

Tom Holland is back as Spider-Man and it comes across that he was born to play the role. He is so good as both Peter & Spider-Man and I think this film does a really great job of showing the difference and how he wants a break from Spider-Man after saving the entire universe. He is just really likeable and it is really reinforced that he is a kid and that is handled well to really make you realise just how crazy this whole situation is. 

Supporting Characters

Jake Gyllenhaal plays Quentin Beck/Mysterio and this is personally one of my favourite villains in The MCU. When I was growing up I watched the Spider-Man cartoon and Mysterio was one of my favourite characters so to see him on the big screen was a joy. The look is incredible and does it justice, the character is super interesting and Gyllenhaal knocks it out of the park. Samuel L Jackson is back as Nick Fury and I liked how his character had changed since the real last time that we saw him in The MCU. This is a slightly more transparent version of the character and one that is clearly frustrated with the situation that he is in after the events of previous films and it makes for some funny interactions. I didn't mention it in my previous review but Zendaya is great as MJ, she is given more to do here as she becomes more of a romantic interest for Peter. Their chemistry is great and feels very natural here which is a good change from some of the awkward chemistry between Peter and Liz in the first film. Marisa Tomei as May is side-lined for the majority of the movie but is good on screen and Jon Favreau is really fun to watch as Happy Hogan as he has a more hands on role here. 

Story 

The story is good, they do a really affective job of showing the inner turmoil going on in Peter's life and how the events of Avengers: Endgame has really affected him. It is a great change from Homecoming and shows how the events of The MCU take its toll on him and develop him into a proper Avenger. The issue is some of the smaller side plots don't quite work, like there is a love triangle thing and it just doesn't work and some of the other kids stories became annoying and like they could have been cut from the film. 

Script

The film has some good humour and some clever writing to really make you care about Peter and the situation that his character is in. But I don't know it just feels weaker then the Homecoming script, I didn't laugh as much and I didn't feel the weight as much as I did with the previous film. 

Style 

The action looks great, seeing Spider-Man in action is a lot of fun and as I mentioned above Mysterio looks amazing. It is also nice to see the film going to the different locations in Europe, it makes it stand out from other Spider-Man films. But this film has a pacing issue, it took a bit long to get going for me and sometimes struggled to keep me as invested. 

Overall

Overall, Spider-Man: Far From Home is a good film. It has a lot to enjoy and as a fan of Spider-Man it is an easy watch, it also has one of the best post credit scenes ever seen which does help. 

Rating - 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment