Tuesday, August 20, 2024

The Acolyte is Cancelled! - Season 2 will not move ahead at Disney

The Acolyte is Cancelled! - Season 2 will not move ahead at Disney


So after a few weeks of speculation and hearsay, the news came out today that Disney have decided to cancel The Acolyte and are not moving forward with a second season on Disney+. I must admit, I am a little surprised at this news and have some thoughts on it which I will go through now. 

The Acolyte will become the Black Sheep of Star Wars

With The Acolyte clearly planning for multiple seasons and becoming a big part of the Star Wars Universe, it seems that The Acolyte will be long forgotten due to its lack of success. Over the years other forms of Star Wars media have become forgotten such as Star Wars Resistance and The Original Clone Wars show and unfortunately I think The Acolyte will join this list. 

I actually think this show had potential

I will be the first to admit that The Acolyte fell short of expectations and I wish it had been better. But I don't believe the show was anywhere near as bad as people thought it was and after the finale, I was one of the few that was actually intrigued by what the future held for this franchise. Seeing Plagueis and Yoda introduced in the finale and the conflict between The Sith and Jedi was something I was excited for. 

The Budget was probably too big to risk

Even though certain elements of The Acolyte looked a bit cheap, there is no doubt that this show would have had a bigger budget then most shows and due to the negative fan reaction and diminishing viewership I assume that played a part in not risking the chance to spend lots of more money on a second season. 

Review Bombing does need to stop as it is hurting content

This show became notorious for the amount of review bombing that it received. Basically, people were slamming the show and giving episodes low ratings before the episodes were even released. This clearly showed people just trying to get the show cancelled without even seeing if it is any good, we have seen this for numerous shows this year and it needs to stop as it clearly causes issues with these shows getting longer shelf life. 

Should this be a worry for Skeleton Crew?

The next Star Wars show is Skeleton Crew, which comes out in December and I do have worries for it already. People were not receptive to this new content and judging by the trailer for Skeleton Crew, I think that people could have similar reactions to it. If that happens, I think Disney might stop taking risks with Star Wars and we might get more mundane ideas in the future. 

Overall

Overall, it is always sad when a show gets cancelled when it clearly had plans for future seasons and I do think some outside forces caused this to happen. But there is no denying that The Acolyte wasn't good enough and Disney need to do a better job with its Star Wars content in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment