Monday, January 4, 2021

First Impressions - The Stand

First Impressions - The Stand 


We have made it to 2021 and it has been a slow start in terms of films and TV but this morning I had the chance to watch the first episode of the Stephen King adaptation of The Stand and here are my first impressions of this episode of this show and yes there will be some spoilers here. 

Should this show have been released now? 

Onto the elephant in the room, this show sees a virus kill off the majority of the human race, now obviously this has scary comparisons to real life right now with the coronavirus and the question is why the hell was this show released now. Sometimes as a tv studio you have to realise that this show coming out in 2021 was not a good idea and will turn off the majority of its viewers as they want to get away from reality and not watch a show that is sensitive to a real life situation. 

The acting is sub standard

Now onto the acting and it is pretty bad, the most of the cast are unknowns and I thought they were all pretty bad and didn't exactly convince me that these would be characters that I would be invested in for a whole show. James Marsden is in this show and for me he could have been played by anybody and his character is so dull and does nothing to keep you interested at all. 

The story is all over the place

It seems in the modern day that every show has to tell its story in a non linear way and that is okay as long as it makes sense and has interesting characters and this show fails at that. It is confusing and you don't spend enough time with anybody enough to care about them and the story that we are being told. 

The show wastes JK Simmons

I must admit I was so bored watching this show but then a certain actor called JK Simmons turns up and I suddenly got excited and couldn't wait to see him and Marsden team up for the rest of the show. But then the episodes biggest fault is killing him off, the best part of this show just gone and now I really don't care about the show. 

Who is behind the virus? 

It seems like this virus isn't exactly natural, we see a person orchestrating the distribution of the virus and the question is who and why. I know that there was a film but I haven't seen it so I am a novice here so I have no idea who is behind it and what is actually going on. 

Overall 

Overall, this was a bad start to The Stand and let's hope that as the weeks go on it can improve or else this will be up there 


No comments:

Post a Comment