Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Line of Duty Season 5 (2019) Review

Line of Duty Season 5 (2019) Review 


I haven't exactly hid my love for Line Of Duty as I have watched the series over the last few weeks and today I watched the 5th season of the show and here is my review for it. The premise of the season sees the team of AC-12 on the hunt for the group of corrupt officers and criminals that have been causing them trouble for years. 

Main Character

Another season and another Guest Main character and this season sees experienced British actor Stephen Graham take the lead role and he is fantastic. I mean he is a great actor who usually brings his A game and he does that here, his character has plenty of depth to him and it is a different direction to what the show usually does and I think that made his character one that really stands out amongst the others that have been on the show. 

Supporting Characters

Adrian Dunbar as Hastings as been one of if not my favourite thing about this show and this season is where he hits his stride to an even greater degree. We learn way more about his character and this is easily the most time we have spent with the character and that is a real highlight and a much needed addition to the storytelling of the season. Martin Compston and Vicky McClure as Steve and Kate are also great, it's surprising because despite the fact they have been partners since the first season I think this is the most screen time they have had together and it showed just how great a team they are together. The rest of the cast are great and just like every other season the acting is a real highlight for the show. 

Story 

The story is always moving and interesting. I love how this season starts to play the threads between the different seasons and how they are starting to come together. Graham and Dunbar's plots are the highlights as the show does a really good job with two character studies that really flesh out their motivations and ideals in a really great way. But I have to admit the story did fall a little bit flat in the finale for me, it just wasn't as amazing an episode as the previous 2 finales and I think that did affect my overall feeling on the show, though it is still great. 

Script

The script is great, the dialogue is funny when it wants to be and truly dramatic. There are twists and turns and I can't deny that the writing did a fantastic job of captivating me and making me go from episode to episode as I had not know what was going to happen next. 

Style

The show looks great, it just has a fast paced filming style to it and it really makes you feel like you are following these detectives on their quest for justice. The 6 episodes are paced very well with the finale being a 90 minute episode and the show manages to keep you engaged and invested throughout. 

Overall

Overall, this is a fantastic 5th season of Line Of Duty and continues the really high quality going. Now I am all caught up I can't wait to watch all 6 episodes of the new season at once and get my fix for the show again. 

Rating - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment