Wednesday, April 7, 2021

This is a Robbery: The World's Biggest Art Heist Mini Series (2021) Review

This is a Robbery: The World's Biggest Art Heist Mini Series (2021) Review


This documentary made its way to Netflix today and I watched the four episodes for This is a Robbery and here is my review for it. The premise of the show looks at a case in 1990 where two men wearing Police uniforms stole 13 lucrative paintings. 

First the positives, the premise is quite interesting. I knew nothing about this case or this story and the show does a pretty good job of letting you know why this whole thing was such a big deal and how it became a serious deal for plenty of people for a time. 

It is also good at showing the inside of how big this whole operation ends up being and what went into making this robbery happen and how the art industry really connected to certain criminal elements such as The Mafia. Also I thought 4 episodes was a decent length and anything longer would have been too much so it just about strays on the right side on that element of the show. 

But I feel like this documentary is a bit of a forgettable experience. Though I said it was interesting, I just don't think it was interesting enough to real sink its teeth into me and fully suck me in to its plot. I always wonder if a certain story needs a documentary and I think this is one of them. 

I think a big issue is that the story goes in plenty of different directions especially in episodes two and three where is bogs down on some less interesting parts of its story. It starts dropping all of these names and there are so many that it becomes a bit hard to follow and that ultimately lets it down. 

Overall, I think This is a Robbery is an average documentary. It is hard to make a bad documentary and this show does the bare minimum and I think unless you are really interested in the this story then give this one a miss. 

Rating - 5/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment