Thursday, January 20, 2022

Scream 2 (1997) Review

Scream 2 (1997) Review 


After the success of the original Scream film, this sequel was greenlit very quickly and I have now watched Scream 2 and here is my review for it. The premise of the film sees Sidney move to College in order to get away from the killings of the past, but she gets dragged back in when a copycat killer bursts onto the scene. 

Main Character

Neve Campbell reprises her role as Sidney and I think she does an okay job here. There is no denying she keeps the essence of the character from the first film alive and there isn't any doubt that she does enough to keep the character interesting. But I don't know, I didn't feel there was as much intensity here and that she kind of just went through the motions at times and I didn't care as much here as I did in the previous film. 

Supporting Characters

David Arquette and Courteney Cox are back in there roles as Dewey and Gale and they are once again fun to watch. There is an argument that the characters haven't developed that much since the original but I can't help but enjoy there chemistry together. Liev Schrieber plays a role here and it is funny seeing how young he is here but he does a decent job. His character is a bit all over the place and feels a bit disconnected but I think he was fine. I have some issues like the first film with some of the overacting, even by talented actors and it just takes me out of the film and shows its age. 

Story

The story has some merit, it is interesting seeing a copycat killer and I couldn't work out who the killer was for quite a while which surprised me. But the film overreaches for me and I found the final reveal itself to be a bit lacking. I also don't think the characters felt the drastic repercussions from the original film as much as they should have done.  

Script

The script is okay and once again I like how this film attempts to deconstruct horror films and sequels in general. But there just isn't as much to this script as there was in the previous film and it mostly feels like a bunch of rehashed moments. 

Style

The film has some fun action and horror scenes. Credit has to go to the stunt people who are in the ghostface costume as they throw themselves around to make the action and horror seem even more intense. But the film doesn't hit the heights of its previous film and the film is a bit longer then it really needs to be. 

Overall

Overall, Scream 2 is an average sequel that rehashes most of the plot points from the original film but slightly worse. Unless you are a big horror fan then you can give this one a miss. 

Rating - 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment