Friday, March 27, 2020

Star Trek: Picard Season 1 (2020) Review

Star Trek: Picard Season 1 (2020) Review 

 It is funny while I have been reviewing plenty of Star Wars products recently I have just finished the first season of Star Trek's new show Picard and here is my review of the show. The premise sees a retired admiral of the Galactic Federation come out of retirement to attempt to save a young android from destruction by a secret Romulan assassination squad. 

Main Character

Patrick Stewart is back as Admiral Jean Luc Picard for this show and he does a fantastic job, you can see just how great an actor he still is by his performance on the show. He has so much depth to him as a character and you can't help but be inspired by him and understand why the rest of the cast follow him throughout. He is not just your typical action star and it is nice to see a character with some real depth to him and a really interesting moral compass. 

Supporting Characters

Alison Pill plays Dr Jurati and I thought she was a really interesting character among other interesting characters on the show. At first I found her pretty bland and uninteresting but as the show progresses she gets more and more screen time and really has some interesting dilemas that she is put in, she is torn between a few things and it really shows her morality questioned. Isa Briones plays the Android on the show and she is also interesting as you see her questioning everything and you see things through her eyes and how her life gets flipped on its head by the introduction of Picard. Michelle Hurd plays Raffi, a former Starfleet officer that has fallen off the rails and she does a very good job, I thought her and Stewart had really good chemistry on the show and I thought her character goes though quite a bit on the show to make you care about her. Santiago Cabrera plays the pilot Rios and at first I thought he was just going to be a Han Solo ripoff but he gains more character as the show progresses and you grow to like him plus the actor is very charming and charismatic which obviously helps. 

Story

As you can pretty much guess I really liked the crew dynamic on this show and I feel like having a likeable crew really helped making this a good story, I also liked the characters individual story arcs and thought they were really interesting. Also having an interesting moral dilema as the main crux of the stories helps, seeing both sides point of view makes the plot more fascinating to watch. However, I have to say I thought the ending to the season was quite weak, I can't go into details without spoiling it but it does something that takes away from some of the emotional impact of the finale. 

Script

The script is great, the characters feel like real people, there is more humour then I was expecting and for the most part it worked and the drama also felt dramatic which helped make these characters plight be something that we could care about. 

Style

The style has some great action scenes both on the ground and in space, you can tell this show has a big budget to it and it pays off making the show feel very large scale. It also has a great tone mixing the action and story elements that make the 10 episodes feel the right length ais it is never dull.

Overall

Overall, I was so suprised by how much I enjoyed this show. It had some great messages to it and some memorable characters and whether you are a fan of Star Trek or not I believe you will find this show interesting. 

Rating - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment