Thursday, December 10, 2020

Raised By Wolves Season 1 (2020) Review

Raised By Wolves Season 1 (2020) Review


So this show was really the first big show made by HBO Max in the US, now the Ridley Scott led project has hit the UK and I have watched Raised By Wolves and here is my review for the first season. The premise of the show sees a pair of androids tasked with looking after a group of kids on a new planet. 

Main Character

Amanda Collin plays Mother who is the main character of the show and I think she does a good job, she does a good job of playing the android and you see the show really through her eyes and you learn quite a bit about her and I think Collin does good work with it. But I just have some issues with her character, it is hard to talk about it without spoilers but all I will say is that about the middle part of the show she decides to do something and it just didn't make sense and after that moment I just thought her character was a bit dull. 

Supporting Characters

Travis Fimmel is the biggest name on this show and for me he is also the best character on this show. The guy just has so much charisma to him and so much charm and his character has the best individual story on show here. Abubakar Salim plays Father and I actually quite liked him, I thought the dynamic between him and Collin was well handled and I thought it was a nice relationship that they had that was one of the things that was developed pretty well. But the rest of the cast didn't do much for me, mainly the young actors and actresses, I always find it hard to critique young performers but this show requires plenty from there child actors and none of them stand out with a few of them not doing a great job for me. I mean the main one Campion, this kid was so annoying and I just couldn't stand him which made it much harder to care about him or the rest of the kids on the show. 

Story 

Onto one of the most convoluted and confusing stories any show will have in not just 2020 but in many years, first onto what I liked, everything to do with Travis Fimmel and his character, for me it is where the intrigue and most interest came from. There was also some interesting ideas towards the end of the show which sets up an interesting future for this franchise. But honestly a lot of the time I felt like things weren't explained enough and felt very strange and out there. It also feels like Ridley Scott has been a bit lazy here, if you have seen Prometheus then you have seen something similar to this show in terms of its feel and story so if you like that fil then this might be for you. 

Script

The script was a mixed bag again there was some decent drama and intrigue but it was everything involving Fimmel and his storyline and shows why for me it was the best part of this show. But this show is very wordy without much depth, especially when describing the world and the whole android stuff, it thinks it is really interesting and it just isn't. 

Style

The show does have a high budget and a very stylistic manner and for the most part it works and makes this show feel big in the way it is shown that makes it stand out. But as I mentioned above I felt like this show feels a bit lazy in terms of you have seen it before, especially from Ridley Scott which does hold it back a bit. Also this show is paced very slowly and it sometimes feels like a drag which could have done with a few less episodes. 

Overall 

Overall, I thought this was a pretty average show, there are good elements but it feels very heavy handed and dull to me. I think only hardcore Sci-Fi fans will like this one and one others can easily skip this show. 

Rating - 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment