Friday, December 18, 2020

The Mandalorian Season 2 (2020) Review

The Mandalorian Season 2 (2020) Review


So 2020 has been a terrible year, no doubt about it but at least the 2nd season of The Mandalorian has come to Disney+ and after 8 brilliant weeks the season has come to end and here is my review for it. The premise of the season sees Mando on the hunt for more Mandalorians that can hopefully lead him to more of The Child's people - The Jedi. 

Main Character

In my Wonder Woman 1984 review I was gushing over Pedro Pascal and that continues here as he is superb as Mando. For a character who's face you don't see he adds so much depth and emotion to the role by just changing the cadence of his voice. You truly buy that the relationship between him and The Child has developed and it is the thing that carries this show and really makes you care about him and this story and real credit has to go to Pascal for that. 

Supporting Characters

The Child was the standout from the first season and he is great again here, it always amazes me that this puppet can be so adorable and make me care so much but it does it. Like I said above the relationship between those two is what carries this show and is really well done this season and that is a great thing to see. Gina Carano is back as Cara Dune and despite her social media issues I think she is a good addition to the cast. I really like her dynamic with Mando and Carano manages to add some layers to the character and she is great in the action scenes as you would expect. Carl Weathers is back as Greef Karga, though he is a much smaller part of the show he is just such a fun addition to the crew and he also directed a great episode so credit has to go to him for that. Giancarlo Espositio is back as Moff Gideon and given a bit more to do and what would you expect is what you get he is revelling his role as the villain and you learn a bit more about him and Esposito is just great. Now there are plenty of new supporting characters, some on the poster above but I don't want to really talk about them as they are something you should experience yourself all I will say is that they are handled really well and it adds more layers and quality to the show. 

Story

The story is better this season, the relationship between Mando and The Child is further expanded and developed and I really felt that connection and that it had been a natural development from the first season. One of the things I criticised from the first season was the lack of overall story but I feel like that was sorted this season. Yes it still has a bit of an episodic feel but pretty much every episode has a point to it involving the main story and it definitely develops at a better rate and has way more meat to it leading to one of the best season finales you will ever see. 

Script 

The script is great, I mean when your main character has his face covered it has to be a great script to make you care and this show does that. It does a great job of advancing the drama and also have that nice addition of humour too. Is their fan service this season? yeah but I am a huge fan so I am serviced and it never felt out of place for me and never took away from the show and actually added to it. 

Style 

The action scenes are fantastic, they are all so fast in pace and feel very unique depending on the episode that you are watching. Also what I love about The Mandalorian is the fact that every episode has a different run time, there is very little filler the shorter stories feel the right length and the longer episodes feel the right length. Usually I complain when shows are streamed weekly but The Mandalorian is the exception to rule as I loved the hype each week and I am just a bit sad that the season is over. 

Overall

Overall, this season is amazing. If you are a Star Wars fan at any level you owe it to yourself to watch this show because you will love it. The show hits all the high levels and is worth every minute of screen time and is a must watch and one of the best of the year for sure. 

Rating - 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment