Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Home Game (2020) Series Review

Home Game (2020) Series Review


This documentary hit Netflix on Friday and after a long weekend I have now watched Home Game and here is my review for it.The premise of the show looks at some of the most unique and dangerous sports in the world and how they affect the people who play them.

There are some fascinating sports showed here, my favourite being Calcio Storico and Makepung Lampit. They are just so unique and mad that it draws you in and you can't keep your eyes off of them. I mean I would never want to try these sports but it is great to see these people taking part and what it means to them on a personal level.

It is also really interesting seeing how these sports affect the cultures of the people that are a part of them. It makes them feel better and brings a sense of pride for country and everybody involved, even in some cases breaking down stereotypes and changing people ideas on certain subjects. 

Also it really helps this show that Mark Strong narrates it, he has a great voice and it fits in the style for this show and does a great job of explaining the different sports.

But there are negatives here, with any documentary like this there will be some sports that you don't find that interesting. For me it was the Catch Fetiche and The Roller Derby, I wish this show had maybe focused on a fewer number of sports but gone into more detail on them.

Also I don't know why but I found this show a bit difficult to binge watch, as I said maybe with a few less episodes but with more depth it would have felt better paced. 

Overall, this is a decent documentary, if you are a sports fan and want to learn a bit about some lesser known sports then this could be worth a watch but maybe not for anybody else.

Rating - 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment