Friday, May 22, 2020

The Lovebirds (2020) Review

The Lovebirds (2020) Review 


This film hit Netflix and with plenty of time on my hands I had the chance to watch it and here is my review for the Netflix film The Lovebirds. The premise of the film sees a dysfunctional couple get embroiled in a Murder Case where they think they are suspects. 

Main Character

Kumail Nanjiani and Issa Rae are the stars of this film and I think they did a really job together, their chemistry is great together, they were individually funny and together were very funny. Yes there characters were pretty cliche but they rise above it with just how entertaining they are. 

Supporting Characters

Honestly this film is owned by the main characters as everybody else is not given anything to do, they are the most generic characters possible and honestly it makes the film weaker as they don't hit the levels of the other main performances and drag the film down. Also the motivations of the villains is all over the place and not really explained well at all.

Story

The story of the film is pretty generic, but again the romance between the main two characters and their journey is so entertaining that it works and you actually feel some of the emotion and you really root for them in this film. Though as mentioned this film is exactly what you would expect and doesn't do anything to make it stand out at all, plus the ending feels a little rushed to me and feels very one dimensional.

Script

For me the script was really great, as mentioned the humour really worked for me and I found myself laughing quite a bit throughout, which for me is the most important thing in a comedy. Also the drama worked for me for reasons I mentioned above as I do want to see our protagonists succeed. 

Style

The style mostly worked, the over the top ridiculous comedy hit for me in this film mainly because of how funny I found the main characters. Though in this film I actually think it could have done with like 10 minutes extra in order to wrap the film up a bit better with some extra depth and it does feel a bit short actually

Overall

Overall, this is an above average comedy it is funny but also one of those films that you will have seen before. If you need a fun film to watch then this is one to spend 90 minutes watching but don't expect one of the best comedies in recent memory.

Rating - 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment