Friday, May 1, 2020

The Mandalorian Season 1 (2020) Review

The Mandalorian Season 1 (2020) Review

 When it comes to any film or TV show of 2020 The Mandalorian was the thing that I was looking forward to the most, with it coming to the US last year it built even more and I have now finished the first season of maybe the biggest show in the world and here is my review. The premise of the show sees a Mandalorian bounty hunter track down a package he must protect. 

Main Character

Pedro Pascal plays The Mandalorian on this show and this is one of the most interesting characters in recent memory. I have always had a fondness for the tribe of The Mandalorians and this character is fascinating, you see how his moral code and his actual feelings clash with each other and even though he isn't completely a good person he tries to do the right thing and as you learn more and more you become even more interested by this complex characters. 

Supporting Characters

Carl Weathers is the main supporting character as the head of the bounty hunter guild and I thought he was excellent in this role. I haven't seen him in anything for a long time but he oozes charisma and you are interested by his character and you see how his moral code pairs up and sometimes conflicts with The Mandalorians and it really works. Gina Carano plays an ally of The Mandalorian and I thought she was a good partner for him on the show, they are a beliveable team and it is great seeing them team up and take down enemies together. Nick Nolte and Taika Waititi offers there voices to really interesting roles and Werner Herzog plays a great antagonist. The great Giancarlo Esposito plays a small role but he shines in every scene that he is in and I want to see more of this character and learn more about how interesting he really is. Also obviously we all know about the phenomenon of Baby Yoda, I won't say much about it but this little creature is a real highlight of the show. 

Story

The story is really interesting, I love seeing a post Return Of The Jedi but way before Force Awakens world and how the outlaws are really running the place. The development of The Bounty Hunters Guild was also really interesting and I loved seeing the structure of this organisation. As mentioned the characters are all given interesting arcs and you learn enough but the show doesn't give everything away leaving the door open for even more quality depth being added in future seasons. The ending of the show is fantastic and sets up a really interesting dynamic for the future. 

Script

The script for the show is some of the best writing that has been seen in Star Wars. The drama is really deep and interesting seeing characters dealing in a world that doesn't have too many rules apart from their own. Also the humour is here but unlike other Star Wars films it really works here, it is used in small doses but really works and adds more depth to the characters and the show. 

Style 

The style of the show is amazing, it literally looks like 8 movies, the action scenes are more brutal and hard hitting then the films. It is brilliantly shot and the western style really works in making this an even more interesting show. However, I get to the only thing that I didn't get on board with, the pacing of the show. The first 3 episodes and last two episodes are amazing, some of the more interesting television I have seen in recent years, however, there are episodes 4,5 & 6. While enjoyable they feel very episodic and a bit disconnected to the main story and I felt myself not thinking about them as much as I did the other brilliant episodes.

Overall

Overall, the Star Wars license has led to much conflict in recent years but I think everyone can agree The Mandalorian is a fantastic show and I agree with this opinion. This is a must watch show for not only Star Wars fans but fans of great television, I can't wait to see more from this show and I hope it gets even better in the future.

Rating - 9/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment