Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Mulan moves to Disney+ on Video On Demand and why this has me worried

Mulan moves to Disney+ on Video On Demand and why this has me worried


So big news came out last night that on September 4th Mulan will be released on Disney+ on Video on Demand for an extra fee. This is a pretty interesting piece of news so I have some thoughts on it and why it has me worried for the future. 

The price is absurdly high

So the main issue here is the price to get to watch this film. It has been initially reported as $29.99 Dollars or £22.99 pounds just to watch this film and that is mad, most streaming services have done a great job in having there films available to rent for a decent price but this is just too much. An average film ticket in the UK is £10 so this is over 2 cinema tickets and yes I understand many people in the family can watch it but it just seems very high to me. 

This price could become the norm

If Mulan does well, which I expect it will then what could stop the other companies from charging this amount for there films in hope of getting more money. We have already seen Universal focus on more VOD releases I just hope their prices remain reasonable allowing more people to watch their films. 

This could become more common for Disney+

So far Disney+ has been lacking new content but they have stayed true to the price, but if Mulan thrives then there is nothing stopping Disney from making this Video On Demand service a more permanent thing and moving more of their films on there.

Overall

Overall, I am really happy to get the chance to watch Mulan as it is one of my most anticipated films of the year but I do worry that this could start a worrying culture in Video On Demand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment