Sunday, July 19, 2020

Cursed Season 1 (2020) Review

Cursed Season 1 (2020) Review


So this show hit Netflix on Friday and I how now found time to make my way through the first season of the show Cursed and here is my review for it. The premise of the show sees a teenage sorceress who comes across a sword of power which puts her in the view of many different warring factions. 

Main Character

Katherine Langford who plays Hannah on the show 13 Reasons Why plays the main character here and I thought she really tried but her character was really lacking. I think she is a talented actress and there are sometimes where it shows but there is not enough. Her character is really boring here and I didn't find anything remarkable about her at all, also at times it is actually hard to root for her or care about her which becomes an issue as the show goes on. 

Supporting Characters

Gustaf Skarsgard plays Merlin her and I thought he did a good job, he is for me the most interesting character here and he gives a fun performance. I just kind of wish that he had more to do in the middle part of the season as he kind of starts as a small part of the show and becomes more important as it goes on. Daniel Sharman plays a villain here who is full of mystery, he is good in the action scenes and as you go on you learn more about his character which makes you more intrigued by him. Relative newcomer Devon Terrell plays Arthur here and I just couldn't get on board with with his character, he was also dull for me and I didn't think his and Langfords chemistry was good here to care about their relationships. Also all of the other villains came across as cheesy and dull to me especially the king, who is so over the top he feels like a part of a different show. 

Story 

The story for me was a real weak point of the show, the characters mostly are just not that interesting. The motivations of the characters weren't particularly interesting and it hurt in trying to make them feel multi dimensional but they just weren't. I also felt like there was too many factions in this show and it meant that some of the factions don't get the time that it needs to make you understand their motivations. The ending of the season is done okay, but there is nothing that gets me really excited if there is going to be a second season here. 

Script

This was the most disappointing part of the show for me, the script was really weak and really hurt the actors performances. The drama isn't interesting and the humour here feels forced and at times is actually quite cringeworthy. 

Style

For all the things that doesn't work here, I thought this show actually looked pretty good and some of the action scenes were okay. But then there were plenty of action scenes that were poorly choreographed and poorly edited together. There is also something small but I found it annoying and it is the way this show transitions between story arcs, it uses animation and for me it just feels really obnoxious and forced. Plus this season has 10 episodes and it was easily a couple too many, which causes this show to be a drag and a hard show to get to.

Overall

Overall, I was excited to watch this show, but Game Of Thrones this is not. It is so poor and it feels like a really basic fantasy show that is really basic and does nothing to stand out. If there is going to be a second season then it needs to improve so much to get me interested. 

Rating - 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment