Thursday, July 30, 2020

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) Review

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) Review


So next on the list for my X-Men review series is the first solo movie X-Men Origins: Wolverine and I have now watched it and here is my review for it. The premise of the film looks at the history of Wolverine and how exactly he got his iconic Adamantium Claws and lost his memory. 

Main Character

Hugh Jackman is once again back as Wolverine and I really feel sorry for him here. He really tries to give a great performance and there are a few moments where he shows it but the writing for the character is so poor and it does nothing to advance his character and provides a dull origin story that for me actually hurts the character in the long run. 

Supporting Characters

Liev Schrieber is cast as Victor Creed, who is Wolverines brother here and I thought he was great casting here. He fit his role well and he came across as a good antagonist and his relationship with Jackman is easily the highlight of the movie. Danny Huston Plays William Stryker and he is fine, he does a good job in the well and fits what we know about the character from the previous film X2 where the character is the main antagonist. But the rest of the cast as poor, Wolverine has a love interest and she was just so boring, I didn't buy into their relationship and it really took the drama away for me. There is also some weird casting like Taylor Kitch as Gambit and Will I Am which also really took me out of this movie. Plus don't get me started on how this film uses Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool and thank goodness he got redeemed on a later date. 

Story

The story here has one redeemable quality which is the relationship between Logan and Victor which I thought was pretty well handled in this film. But the rest of the plot does not work at all, it is just all over the place. So the love story doesn't work at all and this film tries to force some famous characters here and it doesn't work at all and makes this story not work. Also if you want X-men continuity it is not here, this film counteracts previous films and just makes it a bit confusing. 

Script

The script here doesn't work for me, the drama comes across as forced and Wolverine really lacks any sort of charm and charisma that he at least had some of in the previous films. It becomes so convoluted that the film forgets what it is doing and rushes parts of Wolverine's origin story. 

Style

The style of the film has some okay action scenes, especially the one in the last act which is quite entertaining. But there are also some terrible action scenes and they even screw up Wolverines claws making them look completely fake and CGI which is blasphemous in a Wolverine film. 

Overall

Overall, this film just feels really pointless, I was watching it going it isn't terrible but I have no idea why anybody should watch this so I would advise not watching this film.

Rating - 4/10



No comments:

Post a Comment