Tuesday, July 14, 2020

The Secrets She Keeps (2020) Series Review

The Secrets She Keeps (2020) Series Review

 
So this show recently found its way to the BBC and I have finished the 6 episode season of The Secrets She Keeps and here is my review. The premise of the show sees two pregnant woman have a chance encounter which leads to a web of serious events.

Main Character

Jessica De Gouw is an actress I pretty much know for playing The Huntress on Arrow and not much else but I thought she was good here. She gives a strong emotional performance as you really do understand her plight. But some of the writing for her character does hurt her and makes her more unlikable then she should have been. Then we have Laura Carmichaels character who I kind of get what they were trying to do, but it just didn't work for me. Honestly, I hated her character and we spend so much time with her which really hurt my enjoyment of the show.

Supporting Characters

Some of the rest of the cast do a decent job here, I thought De Gouw's husband on the show did a good job as well as their family friend Simon who was good too. But there were also some weaker supporting characters, specifically Carmichaels character's boyfriend who I thought was so over the top and just truly awful here. 

Story

I have tried to keep my description of the premise as vague as possible, because if i go into any detail of the plot you will work out exactly what is happening on this show and that is a big problem here. I don't know if it is because I watch a lot of TV but I predicted every twist before it happened which made this a by the numbers bland show. Also all of those twists weren't that interesting and you have seen it done better in other forms of media.

Script

The script is a pretty forgettable one, there is some okay drama. Though considering some of the subject matter that this show deals with it is surprising that it doesn't get more heated and more intense which is disappointing. 

Style

The style has some decent tension building moments in it, which make average moments much better. But this show is pretty slowly paced, honestly it feels like it could have been a few episodes shorter as it just really dragged for me. 

Overall

Overall, this is a pretty below average slow show. I would advise this is one you skip as though not terrible it is utterly forgettable and sometimes that is even worse. 

Rating - 4/10


  


No comments:

Post a Comment