Wednesday, July 29, 2020

How to Build a Girl (2020) Review

How to Build a Girl (2020) Review


So this film recently found its way to streaming in the UK and has been gaining a bit of buzz so I have watched How to Build a Girl and here is my review for it. The premise of the film sees a teenager living in Wolverhampton become a popular but conflicted music critic. 

Main Character

Beanie Feldstein plays the main character and no slander on the actress here because I am sure she is talented but I couldn't get on board with her character. Her character came across as so annoying and I know this is part of her story arc, but even when she is meant to be good she comes across as annoying and I really found it hard to sympathise for her. As well the accent just didn't work for me, I am pretty certain she isn't from the midlands and it is pretty distracting here.

Supporting Characters

This film actually has a talented supporting cast, but most of them are in very small roles which is a let down. Paddy Considine plays her father here and I thought he was great, he is just a very charming actor and you see how his character affects her and he does his job well. Alfie Allen most known for playing Theon Greyjoy in Game Of Thrones is here and he does a really good job, he plays her friend and I just think he is a good actor and he does a fine job in the role. But the rest of the family and co workers didn't interest me and felt like generic stereotypes that actually does a poor job in representing men and at times it makes this feel like a feminist puff piece. 

Story 

The story here is okay, it is one of those coming of age stories and it is done okay, the character starts in one way and ends up in a completely different way which is a good sign. But this film hits every beat of that formula without going against it once and it really holds it back, also as I said earlier this film is clearly not aimed at me and it feels like a film that tries a deeper message but just fails. 

Script 

The script is also okay, there are a few chuckle worthy laughs and moments which makes it pass nicely. It is just never that moment that really makes you laugh and I thought the majority of the drama fell flat. 

Style

The style of the film didn't do enough for me, I felt this film was a bit slow and meandering and it just didn't do anything to particularly stand out and rise above its pretty generic story. 

Overall

Overall, I thought this was a pretty poor film that just didn't do much for me personally, though I think there might be a demographic for this film I wouldn't recommend it. 

Rating - 3/10


No comments:

Post a Comment