Sunday, July 12, 2020

Miracle Workers Season 1 (2020) Review

Miracle Workers Season 1 (2020) Review 


So the second season of this show hits the UK tomorrow and I have now finished the first season of Miracle Workers and here is my review for it. The premise of the season is set in Heaven Inc when God attempts to destroy Earth, two low level angels make a bet with him, if they can make a couple fall in love he won't destroy The Earth. 

Main Character

Daniel Radcliffe has had an interesting time of it since finishing up as Harry Potter and it has led to him being on this show and I thought he was great here. He just has a very dry sense of humour here that works for me and his awkwardness made him a likeable character. He also has a nice character arc here that mirrors other parts of the show which I thought was handled pretty well. 

Supporting Characters

Steve Buscemi here plays God and I will go on a bit later about some of the choices they make with his character later but I also thought Buscemi was really funny here. You can just tell he is having fun here and with somebody as funny as he is that means he makes you want to have fun with the show which I did when he was on screen. Geraldine Viswanathan is the new character to the group and I thought she was good, her and Radcliffe's characters are so different that it works and I thought the chemistry between the two of them was a real driving force of the season. Karan Soni who is best known for playing Dopinder in the Deadpool films is here and I also thought he was funny, he also adds a nice blend to the group and I thought it worked well. 

Story

The story is a pretty funny one, seeing Heaven as a business is a really smart idea and I imagine the ideas are endless that if they want to explore more of this idea they would have stories for years. Also as I mentioned there are some decent character arcs which help rise this above it's generic main plot. But there are also some of the side plots I didn't really care about and now onto the controversy, basically the show makes God an idiot. This caused a lot of offence to people which is understandable, me myself I just wish maybe they hadn't made him so stupid here. 

Script 

I have to admit, this show had me laughing, so in that it completed its main objective by just making me laugh. It also had some nice drama, though most of it is pretty safe and by the numbers, also there is never that really funny moment for me, every truly great comedy has that moment and this show just lacks it. 

Style

As I said earlier the premise of the show is great and this is linked to the style, seeing the different departments of heaven is really funny and I kind of wish we could have seen a bit more. The show only has 7 episodes and most of its pacing works, it's just I maybe could have gone with something like 5 episodes and this could have been one of the best comedies in recent memory but it falls a bit short.

Overall

Overall, this is a fun little show, it is really quick to get through and will provide plenty of chuckles. Just don't expect the next Office here but if you like comedy then this could be worth a go.

Rating - 7/10  


No comments:

Post a Comment