Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Best TV Shows of 2020

Best TV Shows of 2020

2020 has obviously been a terrible, unprecedented year but the one highlight is that there has been some excellent television that more people have watched then ever. For me this is the most TV I have ever watched this year and I have now got a list of ten shows that I have watched that I think were the best of the year, I haven't seen every show so there might be some missing and it is all opinions so peoples list might be different to mine but here are my top ten TV Shows of 2020. 

10. White Lines 


We start on a controversial choice. White Lines was a show that was a mixed bag for most people but I really liked this show and thought it was fascinating. It showed an interesting show with a different setting and characters to get interested in. Yes the final reveal may have fell a little short but I was satisfied, with the show now having been cancelled it seems like this story will never get its follow up and it is one that will end up having unfulfilled potential. 

9. White House Farm 


Another show with White in its title was White House Farm and this show gripped me with great performances and a chilling story. This mini series kept you guessing throughout and on your toes and the fact that it was based on a true story didn't really hurt it and I am glad that there aren't too many episodes in this show. It feels very real and does an appropriate and respectful job of telling its story and keeping the viewer engaged. 

8. Star Trek: Picard Season 1 


For starters I am not a huge Star Trek fan but when Picard was announced to stream on Amazon Prime I decided to watch it and I ended up loving it. Sir Patrick Stewart back as the title character and did a great job in the role and clearly was invested in this project. The universe building was great and I hope we see more, I haven't yet watched Discovery but hopefully that is of similar quality. The ending wasn't particularly great but it did set up some interesting dynamics for future stories and hopefully we do get a chance to see more. 

7. I Am Not Okay With This 


One of the real surprises this year for me was this show. I am Not Okay With This was a fantastic show that managed to combine teen drama and superpowers but actually did it well. The episodes shorter length really helped it and I loved my binge of the show and got through it in a few hours and was begging for more. It was a travesty when this show was cancelled and I really hope when The Pandemic dies down a bit Netflix give this show another chance and progress this super interesting story. 

6. The Mandalorian Season 1 


The first huge hit of 2020 was when Disney+ came to the UK and The Mandalorian came our way. A fantastic story that showed this duo of Mando and The Child going through the universe and it was fascinating. The action scenes were great, the side characters were great and just the world that has been built is outstanding. This season does a great job in telling a fulfilling story while setting up bigger things, let me just now say this isn't the last you have seen of The Mandalorian on this list. 

5. Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season 7


The next Star Wars property on this list is the 7th and final season of The Clone Wars and this is easily the best season of the show. The show looks better then ever with such sleek animation and it really provided some gut punching and emotional moments, especially, in the last two episodes which are some of the best Star Wars put onto screen and I truly mean that. Ahsoka and Rex have a brilliant journey this season and the Mandalore episodes are amazing and end on a great moment and The Clone Wars will be remembered as one of the great things to come out of Star Wars.

4. Des 


Des was a show that ITV gave us and it was a truly horrifying and enigmatic tale of this serial killer that actually existed. David Tennant gives possibly his greatest ever performance and really carries this show and delivers a chilling performance that keeps you engrossed for the three episodes of this show. Overall, this show is one that is a bit slower paced but the acting and story really keep you invested and is definitely worth a watch. 

3. Better Call Saul Season 5 


I love Breaking Bad and this was the year for me where Better Call Saul got on very similar levels and it was outstanding. This is one of the best seasons of television you will see and for me overall this is the best acted show out there. Bob Odenkirk, Rhea Seehorn, Michael Mando, Giancarlo Esposito and more are amazing and you are truly invested in these characters journeys and the way they have developed from the first episode to here. This season has the great blend of humour and drama and some incredibly tense moments that hopefully will lead to just as strong a final season that ensures this show will be remembered to similar levels of Breaking Bad. 

2. The Queen's Gambit 


Ever since watching this show I was certain it would be in the top 3 slots in this list and here it is in 2nd place and The Queen's Gambit is an amazing show. I never thought a show involving Chess could grip me so much but this show does it and then some and is one every single person should watch. Anya Taylor Joy gives a career defining performance and carries this show on her back with a truly breath-taking and amazing performance. Any normal year this show would be number 1 and this is a show that if you haven't watched then you must take time out and watch it as soon as possible. 

1. The Mandalorian Season 2


What else could it be? I said how much I loved the first season of The Mandalorian but the second season raises the level ten fold and it is an amazing season of television that I will never forget watching. I am a huge Star Wars Fan and even though I have enjoyed the last few years nothing has felt more Star Wars and got me more invested and even emotional then this season of The Mandalorian. The episodes are all super fun and interesting, the returning characters are great and the new characters who steal the show and gives me the diehard Boba Fett fan exactly what I needed and confirmed this show being number 1. The future of this show and the rest of Star Wars TV is super exciting and lets hope it can continue the really strong quality that this show has laid down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment