Saturday, December 12, 2020

New Star Wars Film Rogue Squadron announced

New Star Wars Film Rogue Squadron announced 


Kind of lost in the shuffle with all the big announcements over the last few days is this one, that in late 2023 we are getting a new Star Wars film called Rogue Squadron and here are my initial thoughts on this idea. 

Patty Jenkins will direct

Maybe the most exciting parts of news is that Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman 1984 director Patty Jenkins will be helming the project and this puts the film in good hands. We have seen how great Wonder Woman is and the first reactions to the sequel suggest it is on the same levels so this should be a great choice of director for a Star Wars film without huge names. 

Will focus more on Space Combat

The initial ideas that have come out about this film is that the plan is to make it Top Gun in Space and that sounds really exciting. Yes we have seen plenty of space combat over the years in Star Wars but I feel like there is much more to explore in terms of this and I think the sky is the limit for this film. 

When will this film be set? 

When I think of Rogue Squadron I would assume that this film would be set around the original trilogy and yes I still think that is where it is set but as we have seen in The Mandalorian there is plenty of time span that could be explored and whether this film could be set during The New Republic or New Trilogy era, though I believe this film will be set in the original trilogy timeline. 

Could the film take inspiration from the book?

There this a book called Rogue Squadron but that is no longer Canon. Again The Mandalorian has shown that Disney aren't afraid of taking things and putting them back into Canon and I suspect something similar here. I wouldn't expect a really faithful adaptation of the book, but I think elements will be pulled to give fans of the book justification. 

Overall

Look it's a Star Wars film so I will always have excitement. I remember when Rogue One was announced I wasn't too sure but I ended up loving that film so with a good director and a good cast this could be a hit and maybe even a new franchise in Star Wars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment